Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Eggs-cellent Meal Prep

GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS!? Remember that commercial?? It's HUMP DAY! I hope your week has been great so far!

As you probably know by now this blog is a lifestyle blog. It allows me to post about whatever goes on in my life. Today I thought I would share a little bit of my Monday night cooking sesh. I don't normally "meal prep" per say like I read about others who take time on Sunday to cook for the week. I'm a huge procrastinator so I tend to just whip something up when I get home from work for our dinner for that night.

I'm not quite sure what came over me to go grocery shopping and spend until 9:30 cooking for the week but I'm so happy I did! Allow me to share what is on our menu for the week:

The title of today's post is the theme of everything I made. And no, I did not do that on purpose. Everything I was craving and decided to make just happened to have egg in it!

First on the menu I chose to make eggplant parmesan. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I have only had eggplant parmesan maybe twice in my life?? I don't know what made me crave it but I did so that's what I made. Problem solved! Since it was homemade, it took a little while to prep and cook. The most time consuming part of it all was taking each piece of eggplant and dipping it in the flour, egg, then breadcrumb and cheese mixture. My kitchen was a mess to say the least by the time I was done dipping everything. Once the eggplant was breaded, I baked those for about 20 minutes (flipping them over half way through), and then assembled the layers for the whole thing to bake again.

Our apartment smelled SO GOOD. Since this was my first time making eggplant parmesan, I was a little nervous at how it would turn out. Spoiler alert: IT WAS AMAZING! Once I took it out of the oven we dug right in and both Benson and I devoured it. The good thing about making this is that now we pretty much have dinner for the next few days because it made so much. I gave myself a pat on the back after eating this since I was so proud at how it turned out. I felt like a Food Network genius!


Here is the link for the recipe that I used! http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/eggplant_parmesan/

Next on the menu: Deviled Eggs. Again, I don't usually crave these but I thought they would be good snacks throughout the week. My mom always makes deviled eggs when we go to a family event. As a kid I remember just looking at them and being grossed out. Who actually likes those!? As I got older though tastes change and now I'm making them myself. I forgot how easy they are to make. All it took was the cooked egg yolks, yellow mustard, mayo, salt and pepper, and paprika. The recipe I looked at called for sweet relish but I despise relish so I left that out :) 


Last menu item for the week: Ready to go breakfast sandwiches. Why oh why have I waited until now to make these!? They are so perfect for the work week when you're running out the door. Also, you can customize these however you want which is awesome. I started out by whisking four eggs in a bowl with about a tablespoon of water. I then made two egg "crepes" and added salt and pepper as they cooked. Once they were done, I cut them in half so I had four egg crepes. 

Now for the fun part which was assembling them. I toasted four whole wheat English muffins and added ham, cheddar cheese, and the egg crepe. That's it!! I packaged them up and put them in the fridge and the next morning on the way to work I microwaved mine for 30 seconds and BAM! A healthy and delicious on-the-go breakfast sandwich! On Monday morning I went to my beloved Dunkin and got a breakfast sandwich and iced coffee for $7.00....say whaaaat!? For $7.00 I now have breakfast for the week AND not to toot my own horn or anything but I thought mine tasted better too. (toot toot!)


After writing this post, it's safe to say that I am now hungry again! Maybe I should do this whole meal prep thing more often. I definitely enjoy not having to worry about what to make for breakfast and dinner during the week! What about you? Feel free to share your favorite make ahead recipes too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment